Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday!!!

For some reason, this week has been really short feeling and flew by. Even though I've been sick with a cold/flu that morphed into the beginnings of bronchitis, this week hasn't been terrible. But maybe it's because of the drama of last week with the kids-I'll explain in a minute-and run down with this sickness, I am SO happy today is Friday. I can't even imagine having to come to work one more day this week.

About the sexual harrassment last week. 13 year old boys were whistling at me when I walked down the hall. It wasn't the first time, it happened twice before.
If you are a woman who's been whistled at on the street or in the mall or Wal-Mart, you know the feeling of shame and disgust that accompanies the catcall. There's absolutely no compliment in catcalling or whistling at a strange woman. OK if you are in a relationship with her and it is between the two of you-like she is ready for a date with you and she looks amazing, whatever, you can whistle at her. But NOT a stranger walking by.

Therefore, being whistled at by pubescent boys while at work while I'm wearing dumpy clothing was too much. I haven't been that angry in awhile, so that's why I cried. I cry when I'm pissed, usually not when I'm sad. In addition to being pissed, I was also upset because I know that I can't control what the boys do. I can send them to ISS or even suspend them for harrassment, but it doesn't change their behaviors.

I stopped wearing makeup for the week because I'm suddenly hyper-aware of my appearence and I'm afraid that I'm the one who is at fault for looking too cute while at school.

I now cannot walk into the ISS room for fear that comments will be made by the boys in there.

I now peak around the corner of the hallway to make sure there are no boys at the end of the hall waiting to get themselves in trouble.

It pisses me off that their actions have affected me so much and that I have to watch my back constantly.

So yep, I am absolutely positively excited that tomorrow is Saturday. I do have to run 6.5 miles in my half marathon training plan and I am nervous...wish me luck!

-tha angry teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment